How limited is a strictly conforming program?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Fri Mar 31 02:32:21 AEST 1989

In article <12208 at haddock.ima.isc.com> karl at haddock.ima.isc.com (Karl Heuer) writes:
>S1.7 of the pANS says "A strictly conforming program ... shall not exceed any
>minimum implementation limit".  Does this include the limits in S2.2.4.1?  I
>would think so, but the text refers only to the minimum quality of the
>implementation.

So that does qualify as a "minimum implementation limit", nicht wahr?
See the introduction to 2.2.4.

>Is a program still strictly conforming if it has more than
>509 characters in a string literal?  (And does that figure include the
>trailing null character, or not?)

No, such a program is not strictly conforming.  That's directly derivable
from what you quoted.

I'm not sure what the committee intended the 509-character string literal
limit to include.  From the description in 3.1.4 I'd say that the appended
zero byte isn't part of the 509 count.