Wanted: POSIX and ANSI C, details and libraries

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Thu Mar 30 02:17:07 AEST 1989

In article <746 at gould.doc.ic.ac.uk> lmjm at doc.ic.ac.uk (Lee McLoughlin) writes:
>The first problem is how do I get ahold of the POSIX spec' in the UK?

IEEE Std 1003.1-1988,  "IEEE Standard -- Portable Operating System Interface
for Computer Environments" (ISBN 1-55937-003-3), is published by The Institute
of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc, 345 East 47th Street, New York,
NY 10017, USA; I believe they sell directly to the public, presumably
including the UK.

>I don't recall seeing the name of a book, or whatever, detailing POSIX.

I don't know of any (yet).

>ANSI C is easier to get ahold of details.  I just bought the 2nd edition
>of K&R.  It seems to be a good general guide, but stddef.h, errno.h and
>locale.h don't seem to be documented anywhere.

Unless you need to use the "internationalization" features, K&R2 is probably
a sufficient guide for most programming under ANSI C.  The actual ANSI C
standard has not yet been published, although we expect it to be within a
few months.  There are several books in mass-market bookstores around here
that purport to explain how to program in "ANSI C"; all of them are a bit
premature at this point, but they may not be far wrong (I haven't examined
any other than K&R2).