Out-of-bounds pointers

Mike I'll think of something yet Meyer mwm at eris.berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 11 11:51:56 AEST 1989

In article <976 at crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen at crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
<  Prevailing practice means what it says, that before compilers were
<modified to make it illegal such code would work on most machines, such
<as Sun, Vax, PC, Cray, PDP-11, etc. I think that fairly represents at
<least 80% of the machines and users running pre-ANSI C.

I've as yet to run across a compiler that was modifed to match ANSI
that made code with undefined behavior illegal. Issue a warning, yes,
but not an error. I'm even used to them issuing only a warning if ANSI
says the situation in question should be an error.

So, can you provide a code sample with undefined behavior, and the
name of a compiler that used to accept such code, and now considers it
an error?

	<mike

--
When logic and proportion have fallen softly dead,	Mike Meyer
And the white knight is talking backwards,		mwm at berkeley.edu
And the red queen's off her head,			ucbvax!mwm
Remember what the dormouse said.			mwm at ucbjade.BITNET