malloc/free practice - more from the author

David Adrien Tanguay datanguay at watmath.waterloo.edu
Sat Oct 21 23:00:44 AEST 1989

In article <11363 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
# In article <30538 at watmath.waterloo.edu> datanguay at watmath.waterloo.edu (David A
# >I disagree about the second sentence.
#
# Again, you dropped context, this time from my posting instead of the
# Standard.  I explained what the "assigned to" was all about.

I did drop it, but it didn't explain any shortcoming in the "no you can't
free" argument: I actually used it to confirm my deductions while writing
the argument.

# You're
# trying to give it meaning that was never intended, and by the "Could
# a reasonable person, in good faith, really misunderstand our intention?"
# test (which was one criterion for whether or not wording changes were
# called for during evaluation of public-review comments), I would have
# to say that the existing wording, taken in toto, is clear enough.

Well, I agree with you here (which is why this is a pedantic argument).
It would take considerable bad faith for anybody to want to interpret
the standard in such a way to make free() useless. I still think it is
a reasonable interpretation of what the standard says, but it is clearly
not what the standard intends.

David Tanguay