Out-of-bounds pointers

Mark Brader msb at sq.sq.com
Tue Oct 10 07:30:50 AEST 1989

> > It's not even "legal" to compute an invalid address, whether or not
> > it is dereferenced.
> ... if you are allowed to declare an auto pointer at all
> then obviously the hardware supports uninitialized pointers ...

No; the implementation could elect to initialize everything, say to a null
pointer, as part of the action of bringing the variable into existence in
addressable space.  (And remember, a null pointer could be implemented as
a pointer to a particular anonymous object somewhere.)

--
Mark Brader			"You have a truly warped mind.
SoftQuad Inc., Toronto	         I admire that in a person."

This article is in the public domain.