Do non-trivial strictly conforming programs exist?

Walter Murray walter at hpclwjm.HP.COM
Mon Sep 18 06:47:42 AEST 1989

Richard Minner suggested:

> Could not 2.2.4.1 be worded something like (not exactly, mind you):

>     2.2.4.1  Translation limits

> 	     In so far as the implementation has sufficient
> 	storage available, it shall be able to translate and
> 	execute any otherwise conforming program that does not
> 	exceed any of the following limits:

A relevant passage might be this from Section 1.2, which is hard for me to
reconcile with the requirement in 1.7 about a conforming implementation
"accepting" any strictly conforming program:

   "This Standard does not specify ... the size or complexity of a
   program and its data that will exceed the capacity of any
   specific data-processing system or the capacity of a particular
   processor."

One could argue from this that, as long as it can translate one
particular program as described by 2.2.4.1, a conforming implementation
is free to reject any other program as being too "complex".

Walter
------