Do non-trivial strictly conforming programs exist?

Walter Murray walter at hpclwjm.HP.COM
Mon Sep 11 13:08:39 AEST 1989

Doug Gwyn writes:

> The alternative would be to require acceptance of every strictly
> conforming program that did not exceed any of the limits.

But doesn't the dpANS do just that, in Section 1.7?  "A conforming
hosted implementation shall accept any strictly conforming program."

With reference to the example in the basenote, a program can
be strictly conforming even though it contains TWO macro
definitions with 31 parameters in each, can't it?

As I interpret Section 2.2.4.1, the provider of a supposedly conforming
implementation has to be able to produce a program that will be
accepted by the implementation and that contains at least one
instance of each of the translation limits.  But that doesn't
excuse the implementation from accepting a program which contains
more than one such instance, does it?

Walter Murray