Mixing compilers

Blair P. Houghton bph at buengc.BU.EDU
Fri Sep 29 04:26:00 AEST 1989

In article <514.nlhp3 at oracle.nl> bengsig at oracle.nl (Bjorn Engsig) writes:
>This was taken over from comp.lang.c:
>Article <524 at crdos1.crd.ge.COM> by davidsen at crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) says:
>|  Using libraries compiled with one compiler with programs compiled with
>|another is always a possible cause of problems with calling sequences.
>
>Does the pANS say anything about linking programs compiled with
>different compilers, e.g. in the case above.  You might even not know
>which compiler was used to compile the libraries.

Why?

I can link Fortran and assembler routines with my C code.  Why would
X3J11 have anything to say about that other than "Good Luck" ?

Once things are in machine code, how would the pANS apply at all?

Waitasec...  _Is_ there a prohibition in the pANS that says that one
can't use a full set of object-libraries, one that provides all of the
required routines, each with conforming behavior, that were compiled,
say, with SNOBOL?

				--Blair
				  "And what's the release date on
				   the ANS?"