Macro sustitution inside quotes

Steve Jenkins jenkins at jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV
Thu Apr 12 00:50:25 AEST 1990

In article <1457 at tkou02.enet.dec.com> diamond at tkou02.enet.dec.com (diamond at tkovoa) writes:
>[....]  But Reiser's inventions were easier to understand, easier to use,
>easier to implement, and less surprising than ANSI's inventions.  ANSI
>should have done less work.

If the criterion for language design were always "easier to
understand, easier to use, easier to implement, and less surprising",
we'd all be programming in BASIC.

The point is still that Reiser was wrong and ANSI is right.  Had ANSI
adopted the Reiser behavior, perfectly correct (by K&R1) C programs
would have become broken.  I can't see the justification for that.

I guess we agree to disagree.

Steve Jenkins N6UNI			jenkins at jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov
Caltech/Jet Propulsion Laboratory	(818) 354-0162