Regular Expressions HELP needed

Aristides Grigoriou steed at media01.UUCP
Mon Dec 3 20:10:41 AEST 1990

Could somebody help please !!

In these times where standarisation is a much used word.
I run in to a problem which must be solved many times before.

The problem is: I want to use the regular expression handler
from the C-library(SYS V: libform.a). So far so good, but it has
to work on different platforms. For the moment SYS V 3.2 and SunOS 4.01.
I need this in an OO-application. Most objects have a different RE stored
in them.

Since SunOs and SYS V handle regular expressions completly different
I want to know:

	  - Is there uniform way of solving this ?
	    ( I don't like #ifdef's )
	    ( And I certainly don't want two versions )

	  - Is there maybe another standard Lib ?

	  - Are RE's standarised (POSIX,ANSI maybe) ?

          - Or must I just every time when I want to use
	    an RE "compile" it before I can 'regex' or 're_exec' ?
	    ( This is very expensive I think )

I will give a summary of the reactions.

                          Thanks in advance,

			  Aristides Grigoriou

P.S. Email reactions can best be send to hp4nl!media01!steed
     Lately some mail gets lost via the other address

--
| Aristides       | EMAIL: steed at media01.UUCP    | _________________________ |