#pragma

diamond@tkovoa diamond at tkou02.enet.dec.com
Wed Dec 5 14:30:28 AEST 1990

In article <14641 at smoke.brl.mil> gwyn at smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>I think a large fraction of X3J11 would deny that their original intention
>was that #pragma could not affect semantics.  Certainly the final standard
>allows it to.

In that case, why should unrecognized #pragmas be ignored?  If their
original intent was that programs could depend on #pragma to obtain correct
results (correct for the program), then they would have specified that
unrecognized #pragmas draw diagnostics.  This seems very strange.

OK, in some contexts, it has been suggested that the standard does not
forbid an implementation to produce extraneous, even misleading, diagnostics
for a conforming program, as long as it executes the program correctly.
Thus, can a quality implementation produce a quasi-extraneous, non-misleading
diagnostic for an unrecognized #pragma?  There is additional context here,
that unrecognized #pragmas are required to be ignored.  Is quality even
permitted here?
Norman Diamond, Nihon DEC    diamond at tkov50.enet.dec.com
                                    (tkou02 is scheduled for demolition)
We steer like a sports car:  I use opinions; the company uses the rack.