Simple questions about array declarations

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Wed Feb 28 15:27:30 AEST 1990

In article <16045 at haddock.ima.isc.com> karl at haddock.ima.isc.com (Karl Heuer) writes:
>...  3.7.2 says "if the declaration... is a tentative
>definition and has internal linkage, the declared type shall not be an
>incomplete type".  This seems to make array7 and array10 illegal.

Ok, I stand corrected.  I'd forgotten that we had agreed to that.
Tentative definitions were a real mess.

>It's also a pretty stupid rule, in my opinion.

I hope before everyone else in X3J11 forgets why the rules ended up
the way they did, somebody documents it.  The Rationale doesn't appear
to cover this.