__chip is evil

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sat Jan 13 07:27:23 AEST 1990

In article <4919 at sugar.hackercorp.com> peter at sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>[ to comp.std.c folks: the discussion is the use of __id for nonportable
>  qualifiers in declarations, like Microsoft does with __far. ]

That's not only a proper use of __*, but the recommended one.

>> >On the other hand #pragma is not allowed to change the semantics of a
>> >program.
>> I'm sorry, but I can't find this in the standard.  Can you direct me to
>> the appropriate paragraph?
>Anyone in comp.std.c want to take a crack at it?

My argument is that the entire Standard must be conformed to, whether or
not an application happens to actually use #pragma, thus #pragma cannot
change the semantics that rest of the Standard specifies.

However, opinion on this does not appear to be unanimous even among
X3J11 members.  This is another area where a formal interpretation
ruling would be nice.