__chip is evil

khb at chiba.kbierman khb at chiba.kbierman
Tue Jan 16 16:01:56 AEST 1990

In article <11939 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:

   That's not only a proper use of __*, but the recommended one.

   >> >On the other hand #pragma is not allowed to change the semantics of a
   >> >program.

   My argument is that the entire Standard must be conformed to, whether or
   not an application happens to actually use #pragma, thus #pragma cannot
   change the semantics that rest of the Standard specifies.

I would have thought that something like

#pragma K&R

would be highly desired, for those cases where the traditional unix
interpretation of K&R has been different .....

Is everyone that certain that old codes don't matter anymore ? Or is
this not the preferred "spelling" ?

I haven't been that hip to C standards discussions (only about a month
of watching the group and such), so I apologize if this is an old
discussion come back from the dead.

cheers
Keith H. Bierman    |*My thoughts are my own. !! kbierman at sun.com
It's Not My Fault   |	MTS --Only my work belongs to Sun*
I Voted for Bill &  | Advanced Languages/Floating Point Group
Opus                | "When the going gets Weird .. the Weird turn PRO"

"There is NO defense against the attack of the KILLER MICROS!"
			Eugene Brooks