warning: '/*' within comment

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Sat Jun 2 14:11:37 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jun1.200433.6919 at druid.uucp> darcy at druid.UUCP (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) writes:
>However I got the same warning.  Is there anything in the standard that
>allows the compiler to ignore the quotes while inside a comment.  After
>all, quotes are required to be balanced...

The stuff inside a comment doesn't have to even resemble normal C tokens.
Remember that a comment like /* isn't this subtle */ contains, by normal
C standards, an unbalanced quote.  The standard specifically commands
that the interior of comments be totally ignored except for looking for
the terminating `*/'.  (However, the standard does not constrain extra
warning messages from compilers.)
--
As a user I'll take speed over|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
features any day. -A.Tanenbaum| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu