warning: '/*' within comment

Martin Weitzel martin at mwtech.UUCP
Fri Jun 15 19:22:00 AEST 1990

In article <25176 at rphroy.UUCP> tkacik at rphroy.uucp (Tom Tkacik) writes:

>In article <1777 at tkou02.enet.dec.com>, diamond at tkou02.enet.dec.com
>(diamond at tkovoa) writes:
[refer to above article for deleted lines]

>The problem is the C's.  If the preprocessor tokenizes, it will think that
>the 's is the start of 's'.  It may issue an error about a missing
                                 ^^^
>closing quote.  Even though the text is ignored, this must be analyzed.
Very true. I think this is what all related questions can be reduced to:
  1) In ANSI-C there are certain "phases of translation" which (at least
     logically) occur *before* parts of the source are "#if-ed out".
  2) There are certain sequences of input characters which have to be
     analized during this early phases and which would clearly be
     erreneous *if* they would have to be fully compiled later.
Now: Is it "required", "unacceptable" or a "quality of implementation
     issue", that such a sequence of characters in ignored parts of
     the source makes the whole program not to compile?

Note that the answer to this must be known if you have to decide what
may follow a #pragma in a "conformant program". To my understanding
#pragma-s *are* allowed in such programs *if* they are enclosed in
some #if !(__STDC__ == 1) -- #endif context.
--
Martin Weitzel, email: martin at mwtech.UUCP, voice: 49-(0)6151-6 56 83