warning: '/*' within comment

Tom Tkacik tkacik at rphroy.uucp
Tue Jun 12 04:36:22 AEST 1990

In article <1777 at tkou02.enet.dec.com>, diamond at tkou02.enet.dec.com
(diamond at tkovoa) writes:

|> What's the problem?
|>  #include <stdio.h>
|>  #if 0
|>  C's weird#if 1 /* isn't it */
|>  #else
|>  int main(int c, char *v[]) { printf("Hello, world!\n"); return 0; }
|>  #endif
|> preprocesses to
|>  [contents of <stdio.h>]
|>  int main(int c, char *v[]) { printf("Hello, world!\n"); return 0; }
|> regardless of whether the preprocessor really tokenizes or not the line
|>  C's weird#if 1 /* isn't it */

The problem is the C's.  If the preprocessor tokenizes, it will think that
the 's is the start of 's'.  It may issue an error about a missing
closing quote.  Even though the text is ignored, this must be analyzed.
--
Tom Tkacik			GM Research Labs,   Warren MI  48090
Work phone: (313)986-1442	uunet!edsews!rphroy!megatron!tkacik