warning: '/*' within comment

Karl Heuer karl at haddock.ima.isc.com
Mon Jun 4 13:20:26 AEST 1990

In article <13040 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>[correctly points out that quotes are meaningless in a comment]
>My advice to you is to tell your compiler vendor that you don't
>appreciate gratuitous warning messages,

The compiler in question was gcc, and it doesn't produce this warning by
default.  You have to enable it.

>and that
>	/*	stuff;	/* comment */
>is a fairly common usage...

Certainly, people who use this common-yet-questionable style should leave the
warning disabled.  Those of us who find it atrocious can enable the warning,
thereby catching the common error of an unclosed comment.

[D'arcy originally wrote:]
>/*
>Sample usage:
>	mkscript src/*.c src/*.h src/makefile man/* readme > dist.txt
>*/

Although you can silence the warning easily enough, note that changing the
example to include something like `*/foo.c' could be surprising.

Karl W. Z. Heuer (karl at ima.ima.isc.com or harvard!ima!karl), The Walking Lint