Comment Syntax

Henry Spencer henry at zoo.toronto.edu
Sat Nov 17 04:20:18 AEST 1990

In article <I4=67D4 at xds13.ferranti.com> peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>> ANSI's phases of translation require that backslash/new-lines be
>> processed BEFORE comments.
>
>Why?
>Makes sense for me for comment processing to come first, before
>anything else.

The intent is that it be possible to split lines mechanically, e.g. to deal
with machines with stupid line-length limits, and hence it is desirable to
have backslash-newline processing first so that you don't have to tokenize
the source to decide where line breaks are safe.
--
"I don't *want* to be normal!"         | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
"Not to worry."                        |  henry at zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry