Another sizeof question

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Tue Nov 6 14:42:40 AEST 1990

In article <2654 at cirrusl.UUCP> dhesi%cirrusl at oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>Because at the time that ANSI was in the middle of developing the
>standard, so far as I could tell, all existing substantially complete
>implementations of K&R's C provided a way of doing preprocessing only.

There were at least a couple of commercial C compilers with "tokenizing"
preprocessors; they may have allowed the result of preprocessing to be
converted back into some form of source code for people who requested
such a facility or they may not (I don't recall).  In any case, we have
been telling people for years that if they want a macro processor they
should use something like "m4" rather than rely on cpp.