floating point constant folding

Henry Spencer henry at zoo.toronto.edu
Thu Nov 15 06:15:36 AEST 1990

In article <8237 at star.cs.vu.nl> eck at cs.vu.nl (Hans van Eck) writes:
>The problem is that the standard (in 3.4) explicitely allows greater range
>and precision for floating point expressions when a constant is required...

I don't think 3.4 says quite that; indeed, it explicitly states that the
rules for constant expression evaluation are the same as for non-constant
expressions.  The clause you're referring to says that precision and range
*may not be less* than that available at run time.  I would interpret that
as a clarification and a warning to implementors, not as a change of the
rules.
--
"I don't *want* to be normal!"         | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
"Not to worry."                        |  henry at zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry