Reality check (Was Re: prototypes required ?)

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sat Oct 20 05:27:40 AEST 1990

In article <1171 at dms.UUCP> albaugh at dms.UUCP (Mike Albaugh) writes:
>	And neither will vast quantities of old code, which are used to
>"rolling their own" varargs routines.

That never was a very wise practice, and <varargs.h> was devised LONG AGO
to provide portable support for such situations.  I lost track of how
many thousands of lines of other people's source code I have had to
change to use <varargs.h> when porting to an environment different from
the model that they assumed when they "rolled their own" variable-
argument code.

I expect most conforming implementations to also provide <varargs.h> as
a convenience for their customers, although some may well require the
extra hooks that the standard provides and thus really not be able to
implement <varargs.h>, only <stdarg.h>.