X3J11 Pleasanton meeting summary

Dan Bernstein brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu
Fri Oct 19 06:21:04 AEST 1990

In article <14181 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
> In article <14005:Oct1801:26:5890 at kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
> >> Not permitted.  sizeof x is required to be 300.
> >... is there any portable way to get around this restriction?
> What on earth are you talking about?  It's a restriction on the
> implementation, not on a program.

Exactly. I want to give away some rights, and let the compiler do a
better job by allocating an extra byte for each element of x. In other
words, I want to get around this restriction.

What I'm really trying to ask is whether my only choice is to count
bytes manually, assume fixed type sizes, and declare the right number of
padding characters by hand. I'd rather let the compiler choose padding
for me---it usually does a better job.

---Dan