Shipping bogus code

diamond@tkovoa diamond at tkou02.enet.dec.com
Mon Oct 29 10:51:07 AEST 1990

In article <116 at raysnec.UUCP> shwake at raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) writes:
|darcy at druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) writes:
||The same with software.  If you run a
||system utility and it immediately dumps core then you can safely say that
||someone didn't do their job.  If it dumps core only when run at the stroke
||of midnight then you can say it has a bug but you can understand why it
||wasn't caught by the testing group.
|	Agree completely. A somewhat different problem involves failure
|to test components of a package already in wide use. The assumption is
|that, if the package has been around long enough in enough hands, it's
|*got* to be stable, right? Often true, but not always.

I agree too.
In fact, since this topic deserves to be discussed, I have redirected
followups to comp.misc (which I read) rather than alt.flame.

[Disclaimer:  This is my opinion, not my employer's opinion.]
Norman Diamond, Nihon DEC    diamond at tkov50.enet.dec.com
                                    (tkou02 is scheduled for demolition)
We steer like a sports car:  I use opinions; the company uses the rack.