X3J11 Pleasanton meeting summary

James Jones jejones at mcrware.UUCP
Thu Oct 18 02:25:45 AEST 1990

In article <13996 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>	struct foo x;
>	struct foo { int i; };
>	/* the above is strictly conforming; incomplete-type objects can
>	   be defined, so long as by the end of the translation unit the
>	   type becomes complete so that storage can then be allocated */

Sorry to bring this one up again, but I have something more than handwaving
to bring to the matter this time. :-)

If this is the current interpretation, then it is not consistent with the
"Semantics" portion of section 3.5 (lines 30-31, p.70), which states

"If an identifier for an object is declared with no linkage, the type
for the object shall be complete by the end of its declarator, or by
the end of its init-declarator if it has an initializer."

So...does this reflect an official change in the standard?

	James Jones