prototypes required ?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Fri Oct 19 02:52:14 AEST 1990

In article <PDS.90Oct17103016 at lemming.webo.dg.com> pds at lemming.webo.dg.com (Paul D. Smith) writes:
>I see no reason you could just not prototype anything, however:
>    int printf();
>This should cause no problems.

No, that's wrong.  As point of contact when the <stdarg.h> macros were
being worked out, I received many examples of implementations where
such a declaration would result in the wrong code being generated for
linkage to a variable-argument function.  This is reflected in the
requirements for strict program conformance in the C standard; the
above declaration is not strictly conforming, and it does matter.