prototypes required ?

Bill Poser poser at csli.Stanford.EDU
Tue Oct 23 17:37:11 AEST 1990

In article <27098 at mimsy.umd.edu> chris at mimsy.umd.edu (Chris Torek) writes:
>I still find it hard to believe that someone would not test something
>as basic as vprintf (or at least vfprintf---in my implementation, all
>the printf routines eventually call vfprintf).  This is sort of like
>sending a car to the dealer and forgetting to put in an engine.  Surely
>*someone* would notice before selling the thing?

One untested library function is nothing at all. I've seen a whole
compiler that didn't work. Version 5.22 of HP-UX (probably others,
but that's the one I know about for sure) had an F77 compiler that
generated grossly incorrect assembler. The assembler gagged on
EVERYTHING I tried. Obviously nobody had run the F77 compiler.

						Bill Poser