C on IBM machines

Karl Heuer karl at haddock.ima.isc.com
Sat Sep 22 05:29:02 AEST 1990

In article <268 at cadlab.sublink.ORG> staff at cadlab.sublink.ORG (Alex Martelli) writes:
>the point is, rather, that if you have a beautiful portable C application,
>and relish the thought of getting the beeg moola application SW on mainframes
>goes for, you'd BETTER think about problems related to portability to
>non-ASCII machines.

Ideally, yes.  Though if you inherit a bunch of ASCII-specific code, it may
well turn out that the path of least resistance is to use an implementation
that emulates ASCII via transliteration inside the I/O calls.  (Provided the
application distinguishes between text and binary fopen()...)

Karl W. Z. Heuer (karl at kelp.ima.isc.com or ima!kelp!karl), The Walking Lint