Proposed Enhancement to select/case (yes, I know...)

Michael Meissner meissner at osf.org
Mon Sep 10 07:22:23 AEST 1990

In article <263 at cadlab.sublink.ORG> staff at cadlab.sublink.ORG (Alex
Martelli) writes:

| >% Lots of people don't bother to cast pointers before handing them to a
| >  prototypeless free(); this fails on word-addressible architectures, which is
| >  probably a more likely situation than non-ASCII.  One's complement is my
| >  personal bugaboo; I have no idea how much of my code it would break.
|
| More likely?!?!  I'd bet there's twice as many IBM 370-compatibles and
| AS/400's and their ilk out there, than word-addressible machines AND
| one's-complement ones *put together* (at least by some measure, say
| dollar value of all programs yearly purchased for said machines,
| which should be an interesting one for venal programmers...:-).

Reality check time -- as far as I know, there is no C compiler for the
AS/400.  It would be an interesting experience, in a sick sort of way
from what little I've heard about the internals of this beast.  Also,
up until last year or so, C had real little penetration in the 370
market placem, except on Amdahl's version of unix.
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner at osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861

Do apple growers tell their kids money doesn't grow on bushes?