More Re: Function Argument Evaluation argument

Geoffrey Rogers grogers at convex.com
Wed Apr 3 00:03:13 AEST 1991

In article <18140 at crdgw1.crd.ge.com> volpe at camelback.crd.ge.com (Christopher R Volpe) writes:
>In article <RJOHNSON.91Apr1142143 at olorin.shell.com>, rjohnson at shell.com
>(Roy Johnson) writes:
+|>I understand that the comma operator is a sequence point.
+|>If we use the comma operator as a sequence point between evaluations:
+|>
+|>   int v=1;
+|>   printf("%d %d\n", (1, v), (1,v++));
+|>
+|>This can print
+|>	1 1
+|>or
+|>	2 1
+|>
+|>Do I win?  8^)
+
+Hey, that looks pretty good. No matter what the order of evaluation of
+the function arguments is, there's always a sequence point separating the
+references to v. So the behavior is not undefined, yet order of evaluation
+definitely has a drastic effect on the output.
+
+Anybody see a problem with that?

No.

In this case the compiler must evaluate 1 before it evaluate v or v++
in the subexpressions '(1,v)' and '(1,v++)'. But the order of
evaluation of these two subexpressions are still undefined.