How Standards?

Norman Diamond diamond at jit345.swstokyo.dec.com
Wed Apr 17 14:40:01 AEST 1991

In article <HAGERMAN.91Apr16221024 at rx7.ece.cmu.edu> hagerman at ece.cmu.edu (John Hagerman) writes:
>How does ANSI work?  Can/will ANSI C continue to evolve?

It will, exactly as ANSI Fortran, ANSI Cobol, and others have evolved.
It might be the way ANSI/ISO Pascal evolved (by giving the new language
a modified name instead of supplanting the old one), but this was unusual.

>Is there any point in my thinking about what I'd change in the language,

That's a matter of personal opinion.

>or in posting such thoughts here for comment?

Such posts will likely draw flames until the committee begins work on a
new standard, maybe in about 4 years or so.  I believe there's another
newsgroup now for C futures.

>Is it possible for me to get my thoughts into serious consideration

Yes, but you'll have to wait for the call for public comments on the
new standard.

>with little pain?

No.  (Some people would put a smiley on this, but it's really pretty accurate.)
Norman Diamond       diamond at tkov50.enet.dec.com