Harbison & Steele (was: Re: Bitfields in unions)

M. J. Saltzman mjs at hubcap.clemson.edu
Sat Apr 27 05:16:16 AEST 1991

In article <5134adce.20b6d at apollo.HP.COM> vinoski at apollo.HP.COM (Stephen Vinoski) writes:
>In article <1991Apr23.212105.28138 at hubcap.clemson.edu> mjs at hubcap.clemson.edu (M. J. Saltzman) writes:
>>Sorry to bother you all, but does anyone have a list of errata for
>>H&S?  Is it really that bad?  Are there any other good references
>>(short of the standard itself) for day-to-day use?
>
>Several weeks ago I posted a problem with the strcat() function shown
>in the book.  Sam Harbison contacted me and seemed to indicate that he
>was putting together an errata list to be mailed out.
>
>My original posting seems to have started a thread which has
>inadvertantly given the book a bad reputation.

I actually didn't see this thread.  My posting was in response to
another thread about whether unions could contain bit fields.  The
tone of the post (which I don't have anymore) seemed to be: "Damn!
*Another* error in H&SIII!"  I was concerned, because I found the
earlier editions to be very useful, and when H&SIII came out, I
went right out and bought it.  It surprised me that there might be
more significant problems with the new edition.

>I have been reading
>H&S III *very* closely ever since.  Most of the problems I have
>encountered in the book so far are typographical, e.g. misspellings,
>font changes, missing tabs.  The "real" problems like those that have
>pointed out in this newgroup are few and far between.
>
>A C reference manual is bound to be very complex; given that fact, I
>would have to say that the error density of H&S III is very, very low.
>In my opinion, the book is definitely good enough for day-to-day use,
>and I highly recommend it.

I'm glad to hear it.  It certainly wasn't my intention to contribute
to the negativity.  Since I've only started following this group
recently, could someone send me a list of what's been found so far?
Thanks.

>-steve
>

>| Steve Vinoski  (508)256-0176 x5904       | Internet: vinoski at apollo.hp.com  |
>| HP Apollo Division, Chelmsford, MA 01824 | UUCP: ...!apollo!vinoski         |
>| "The price of knowledge is learning how little of it you yourself harbor."  |
>|                                                    - Tom Christiansen       |

		Matthew Saltzman
		mjs at clemson.edu