Character sets (was Re: wchar_t values)

harkcom at spinach.pa.yokogawa.co.jp harkcom at spinach.pa.yokogawa.co.jp
Thu Apr 11 10:29:08 AEST 1991

In article <1108 at sranha.sra.co.jp> erik at srava.sra.co.jp
   (Erik M. van der Poel) writes:

 =}It is safe to say that 0208 has had a following for quite a few years.

   Amongst the standards comittee it seems to have had a decade+ of
following, but how many programmers actually use JIS in programming.
The capability of handling it exists in many packages, but I think it's
rarely used as an internal encoding (I think SJIS is used the most, but
I'm not an expert).

   I think Mr. Diamond's point is valid even in reference to JIS X 0208.
The ASCII characters are not a part of the standard and are handled as
ASCII...

Al