wchar_t values

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp
Wed Apr 10 22:11:29 AEST 1991

In article <1107 at sranha.sra.co.jp>
	erik at srava.sra.co.jp (Erik M. van der Poel) writes:

>Keld is referring to the problem that I brought up in the first
>article in this thread. I.e. 10646 'c' does not have the same numeric
>value as ASCII 'c'.

It is very strange that international character code standard is affected
by C standard.

If C standard want (wchar_t)'c' == 'c', They can do so simply by ignoring
10646. Currently, C standard has nothing to do with 10646.

If C standard want to incorporate 10646, it may:

	1) define standard way to convert 10646 to wchar_t
or
	2) loosen the requirement of wchar_t  and provide conversion
	   functions or macros (such as isascii())
or
	3) introduce a new character type (say, is10646char_t :-) )
	   whose semantics strictly follows 10646 with appropriate
	   conversion functions or macros

							Masataka Ohta