Harbison & Steele (was: Re: Bitfields in unions)

Stephen Vinoski vinoski at apollo.HP.COM
Sat Apr 27 01:27:00 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr23.212105.28138 at hubcap.clemson.edu> mjs at hubcap.clemson.edu (M. J. Saltzman) writes:
>Sorry to bother you all, but does anyone have a list of errata for
>H&S?  Is it really that bad?  Are there any other good references
>(short of the standard itself) for day-to-day use?

Several weeks ago I posted a problem with the strcat() function shown
in the book.  Sam Harbison contacted me and seemed to indicate that he
was putting together an errata list to be mailed out.

My original posting seems to have started a thread which has
inadvertantly given the book a bad reputation.  I have been reading
H&S III *very* closely ever since.  Most of the problems I have
encountered in the book so far are typographical, e.g. misspellings,
font changes, missing tabs.  The "real" problems like those that have
pointed out in this newgroup are few and far between.

A C reference manual is bound to be very complex; given that fact, I
would have to say that the error density of H&S III is very, very low.
In my opinion, the book is definitely good enough for day-to-day use,
and I highly recommend it.

-steve

| Steve Vinoski  (508)256-0176 x5904       | Internet: vinoski at apollo.hp.com  |
| HP Apollo Division, Chelmsford, MA 01824 | UUCP: ...!apollo!vinoski         |
| "The price of knowledge is learning how little of it you yourself harbor."  |
|                                                    - Tom Christiansen       |