wchar_t values

Erik M. van der Poel erik at srava.sra.co.jp
Fri Apr 12 16:18:49 AEST 1991

Al Harkcom writes:
>    But my point was that if you have a single byte wide character using
> all 255 characters, it would be a dsability to require that the multibyte
> encoding and the wide character encoding be unequal. This does seem to be
> relevant to this discussion...

You're absolutely right, it is *relevant*. What I meant to say was
that the C standard does not *require* characters other than those in
the basic character set to follow the rule L'c' equals 'c'.

>    The numeric value of multibyte 'c' does
> not have to equal the numeric value of wide character 'c' under ISO 10646.
> You feel that this is a problem because you then become unable to use
> such things as:  ('c' == L'c') or ('c' == ((char )L'c'))...

In a previous article, I already stated that I don't really care how
we use 10646 in wchar_t, as long as everybody does it the same way.
-
--
Erik M. van der Poel                                      erik at sra.co.jp
Software Research Associates, Inc., Tokyo, Japan     TEL +81-3-3234-2692