translation limits

Norman Diamond diamond at jit345.swstokyo.dec.com
Wed Apr 10 10:40:05 AEST 1991

In article <14287 at darkstar.ucsc.edu> daniel at terra.ucsc.edu (Daniel Edelson) writes:

>The section on translation limits is extremely weak.  Perhaps finding
>stronger language that would still be correct was too difficult.

I think so.  If you want to propose better language for the C++ standard
or for the next C standard, you have a chance.  You could even try the
present ISO C deliberations, but your chance is infinitesimal.

>	struct S {
>		int a1;
>		int a2;
>		int a127;
>	};
>	int main(void) { return 0; }
>	Error: too many structure members. (This is not the one program
>	that may contain 127 members in one particular structure.)
>From reading this section, it does not appear that a strictly conforming
>implementation needs to be able to translate and execute any program
>whatsoever, except for ``the one.''

That is true.  I don't think we should accuse the ANSI committe of INTENDING
to encourage low-quality implementations (not in this case, anyway).
However, they did have to allow it, for the reason that you mentioned above.
Norman Diamond       diamond at tkov50.enet.dec.com