Localization (4.4.2.1)

Chuck.Phillips Chuck.Phillips at FtCollins.NCR.COM
Tue Feb 26 19:43:41 AEST 1991

Rex> PJ Plauger, ANSI C secretary and ISO C convenor, played a significant role
Rex> in our support for internationalization. He is now an independent
Rex> consultant and recently, finished writing a complete portable C runtime
Rex> library (in C, of course). He is licensing this to implementors. This will
Rex> all be documented in his upcoming book from Prentice-Hall and the source
Rex> will be available `at reasonable cost'.

Not fair!  What is the name of the book?  When is it expected to be
available?  When will we know the "reasonable cost" of the source?

If the cost for the source is _really_ reasonable (i.e. inexpensive) I
could see a lot of non-implementors buying it and using it with various
"ANSI compliant" compilers from various vendors to ease porting.  It's no
fun when two supposedly compliant compilers yield different behavior.
Getting locales right appears (to me) to be an especially tricky problem.

#include<std/disclaimer.h>
--
Chuck Phillips  MS440
NCR Microelectronics 			chuck.phillips%ftcollins.ncr.com