C Programming Stds/Procedures

Ian Spare ian at ukpoit.co.uk
Wed Feb 20 01:58:43 AEST 1991

I have been approached by a member of our Quality Assurance group with a view
to setting up some of C programming standards iand procedures for internal use.

We feel these standards/procedures should cover the following areas:

    o - Use of utilities such as make , lint etc ( other suggestions
        are welcome).

    o - Some guidelines for programming style.

    o - Operating system interaction.

    o - Use of standard libaries and system calls.

    o - Implications of standards such as POSIX and X-OPEN.

    o - How to do it - production of zero defect software.

We use NCR towers running Unix versions 5.2 and 5.3 ( soon presumably 5.4 ),
this will not preclude other platforms and possibly use of C standards for
C programming on other Operating Systems.

It is not my intention to inspire some sort of 'flame-war' on this and be
deluged with mailings about how to write comments , I am most interested in
hearing from other large organisations who have undertaken a similar exercise.

To minimise wasted bandwidth please direct ( some :-) ) replies to my
mailbox.
--
Ian Spare , iT , Barker Lane , CHESTERFIELD , DERBYS , S40 1DY , GREAT BRITAIN

   E-mail : ian at ukpoit.uucp - VOICE : +44 246 214296 - FAX : +44 246 214353