Representation Clauses

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Sat Feb 16 05:59:39 AEST 1991

In article <91045.112247KKEYTE at ESOC.BITNET> KKEYTE at ESOC.BITNET (Karl Keyte) writes:
>Actually, being able to specify a structure's element alignment
>DOES guarantee portability.

No, I stand by what I said.  While, using the technique you suggest,
structure member alignment would be a NECESSARY condition for
portability, it would not be SUFFICIENT.

>If you know you receive an IEEE standard FP number in a particular
>element then you can convert as appropriate.

This has not been my experience, and it certainly does not apply to
multi-byte integral types.

>It's a shortfall of the standard as far as I'm concerned.

You're entitled to your opinion about that.  I disagree.