Localization (4.4.2.1)

Peter Salus peter at world.std.com
Fri Feb 15 03:19:19 AEST 1991

In article <ENAG.91Feb13234959 at holmenkollen.ifi.uio.no> enag at ifi.uio.no (Erik Naggum) writes:
>This concerns the ANSI C standard.  The localeconv function has some
>examples on page 111.  I'm concerned with the specific entry on line 4
>of that page.  It says something about Norway.  I live in Norway.
>
>According to this example, Norwegians write "kr1234,56" when they mean
>1,234.56 units of local currency.  According to this example, they
>also write "kr1234,56-" when they mean -1,234.56 units of local
>currency.
>
>I wonder how this managed to get into a standard in the year 1989.
>After spending a few days asking friends, and them their fathers, I my
>friends in the Norwegian Standards Association, the uniform reply is
>"that went out of recommended use more than 20 years ago".  In 1968 NS
>4133 (Norwegian Standard for Letters and other Documents, Writing and
>Layout), the international currency code "NOK" is recommended for all
>international trade and communication, and is preferred for domestic
>use, as well.  "kr" was still allowed, but deprecated, as one would

The interesting thing is that NS4133 is in line with ISO.  ISO3166
(Codes for the Representation of names of countries) and ISO4217
(Codes for the representation of currencies and funds) call for
NOK for Norwegian Krone.  ISO4217 is maintained by the BSI in
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom, which I find funny as the ISO
designation is GB (and GBP), not UK.

Peter

--
The difference between practice and theory in practice is always
greater than the difference between practice and theory in theory.