Want the word on __STDC__

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Wed Feb 20 11:53:34 AEST 1991

In article <4755 at lib.tmc.edu> dfenyes at thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu (David Fenyes) writes:
>The question is:  Does an ANSI cpp ALWAYS #define __STDC__, even if it
>is used intentionally with a K&R compiler (#defined to 0)?

It does whatever it does.

The C standard constrains only conforming implementations, which must
in effect predefine __STDC__ to 1.  Non-conforming implementations are
outside the scope of the standard.

Having said that, I would add that implementors who #define __STDC__
to anything at all in non-conforming variants of their compilers are
not doing anyone a favor, and I wish they would desist from that
practice.