Questions about mktime()

Karl Heuer karl at ima.isc.com
Sun Feb 3 05:57:04 AEST 1991

>[So, what should mktime() return in the neighborhood of DST changeover,
>when the argument represents a clock time which is (depending on season)
>impossible or ambiguous?]

Personally, I think we should've handled DST in the same way as leap days and
leap seconds: just add another hour to the legal range of the variable.  Then
Spring Changeover Day would end at 23:00, and Fall Changeover Day would end at
25:00.

It is left as an exercise to the reader to determine how 24:30 is denoted in
those backward countries that use 12-hour clocks, such as the United States.

Karl W. Z. Heuer (karl at ima.isc.com or uunet!ima!karl), The Walking Lint