Dereferencing Typecast Integer Literals

Henry Spencer henry at zoo.toronto.edu
Wed Feb 6 04:16:13 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb4.234142.26867 at watmath.waterloo.edu> datangua at watmath.waterloo.edu (David Tanguay) writes:
>>Also, each implementation is required to
>>provide SOME integral type to which any data pointer can be cast such
>>that upon subsequent cast back to the same type of pointer, the new
>>pointer value will compare equal to the old value.
>
>Where does the standard say this? ...

Doug is probably thinking of the language in older drafts, which did
promise that there was such an integer type.  The final standard does
not.  Be nice, though:  he's not the only one to have overlooked this.
--
"Maybe we should tell the truth?"      | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
"Surely we aren't that desperate yet." |  henry at zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry