functions within functions

Dave P. Schaumann dave at cs.arizona.edu
Wed Jan 23 01:02:21 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan22.081057.8567 at ithaca.uucp> garry at ithaca.uucp (Garry Wiegand) writes:
|When the C standards committee was meeting, did they discuss allowing
|the declaration of functions within functions? Ie, making:
|
|    void outside(void) {
|    	static void inside(void) {}
|       	inside();
|    }
|
|count as legal C? Neither my quasi-Ansi C nor my g++ compiler will
|accept it.

C has never allowed nested function definitions.  I don't know for sure why,
but I would guess (given that C is intended for generating clean, fast code)
that they didn't want to get involved with closures.

|Garry Wiegand    ---    Ithaca Software, Alameda, California
|...!uunet!ithaca!garry, garry%ithaca.uucp at uunet.uu.net

Dave Schaumann		|  And then -- what then?  Then, future...
dave at cs.arizona.edu	|  		-Weather Report