comment style

Jay Maynard jmaynard at thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu
Mon Jan 28 09:49:58 AEST 1991

[This one's drifted away from C standardization...replies {and the flames
I know I'll get for defending (horrors!) IBM} via E-mail, please. I simply
couldn't let it go unchallenged.]

In article <937 at hadron.COM> jsdy at hadron.UUCP (Joseph S. D. Yao) writes:
>(b) Using Itty Blue Monster Co.'s name in the same phrase as "Standard"
>is an oxymoron.  That company doesn't follow standards: it makes up its
>own ways of doing things so it can change them as often as it feels
>like.  Which year's version of EBCDIC are you writing your notes with?

IBM's stuff is as much a standard in the world of DP - you know, such mundane
things as payrolls, accounts payable, and the like - as Unix is in the world
of academic computing. Whether or not you like it, it's still the truth.

Oh, yeah - EBCDIC hasn't changed in at least the 11 years I've dealt with it.
Which year's version of ASCII are _you_ writing your notes with?

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jmaynard at thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu  | adequately be explained by stupidity.