comment style

Dan Bernstein brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu
Tue Jan 8 15:03:32 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan05.194321.12428 at kithrup.COM> sef at kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:
> Fine.  Please show me an existing C compiler that handles this.  Please tell
> me how you are going to handle
> 	// we want to see if the character is a \

But that's the beauty of end-of-line comments: You *automatically*
delete everything, including the newline itself. // is both the comment
mechanism and the continuation mechanism. All characters past //,
through the newline, are ignored.

Apparently Microsoft C doesn't do this right. Oh, well.

> X3J11's job was to standardize *C*, not change it.

Agreed. I don't think they should have added //, or trigraphs, or
prototypes, or noalias. But // is still better than /* */.

---Dan