Questions about mktime()

David Tanguay datangua at watmath.waterloo.edu
Wed Jan 23 23:20:48 AEST 1991

|> Now what do we do with the double DST that Newfoundland has/had?
|
|It's "had", by the way; they only tried it for (the usual Daylight
|Saving Time period during) one year.
|
|If I was an implementer having to deal
|with Newfoundland, I'd be inclined to say that localtime() would assign
|1 to tm_isdst for a 1-hour advance, and 2 for a 2-hour advance.

OK until Newfoundland tries a 90 minute DST. How about 2 meaning "figure
it out", e.g., with an environment variable, or an OS call.
Given that they were dissatisfied enough with 1 hour to try 2 hours, I
think that 90 minutes is a possibility. It would even put them in phase
with the rest of N.A. :-)
--
David Tanguay            Software Development Group, University of Waterloo