comment style

Karl Heuer karl at ima.isc.com
Tue Jan 15 07:01:41 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan08.164014.26804 at sco.COM> ron at scocan.sco.COM (Ron Irvine) writes:
>[The code fragment "a = 100/*p /* calculate first factor */" was compiled
>with no warning on four diferent compilers, one of which was gcc.]

gcc does indeed flag this, provided you have the warnings enabled with -Wall.
I strongly recommend using this option, and avoiding those coding styles% that
violate the assumptions it uses.  (In fact, I normally compile my own code
with gcc -Wall -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings, and lint it as well.)

Karl W. Z. Heuer (karl at ima.isc.com or uunet!ima!karl), The Walking Lint
________
% In particular, the (legal but questionable)
	/*#define BSD 1 /* uncomment this line for BSD systems */