C needs reliable comments

David W. Lauderback davel at cai.uucp
Sun Jan 20 22:37:22 AEST 1991

In article <2893 at cirrusl.UUCP> dhesi%cirrusl at oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>C badly needs a way of commenting out a block easily.  It needs
>something like this:
>
>#comment  /* begins in column 1; everything following is a comment */
>... stuff to be commented out ...
>... nac esu #tnemmoc ot peek logla sersu yppah ...
>#endc    /* first occurrence of #endc in column one ends #comment block */
>
>The #comment...#endc blocks do not nest, and are required to be in
>column 1, thus avoiding all necessity for parsing tokens.  What's nice

But if they don't nest, you've defeated the purpose because there may be
a small section you've already commented out and now want to comment out
a much larger area (for a while).  Should I have to remove the #endc that
already exists?
--
David W. Lauderback (a.k.a. uunet!cai!davel)
Century Analysis Incorporated